The Perfect Smokey Eye Look For Post-Isolation
If you’re like us during self-isolation, you haven’t worn makeup in what feels like a century! If you’re feeling a bit rusty and want the perfect post-isolation makeup look, you’ve come to the right place. The team at Monte & Lou have gotten the help of Sydney based Makeup Artist Maddie Barlow who demonstrated how to achieve a gorgeous smokey eye and red lip look! Check out her process, top tips and favourite products below!
- Always prime! “Not to prime is a crime”. My favourite weapon of choice is the Mecca Illuminating Primer.
- Using your chosen foundation brush - blend foundation into skin (make sure to match your neck & chest) - My go to foundation brush is the Zoeva 107 Powder Polish Brush paired with the Huda Beauty #fauxfilter Foundation.
3. Apply concealer under your eyes (I usually leave mine to sit a minute or 2 before blending with my beauty blender as I get “fuller” coverage). My recommendations: Flower Beauty Light Illusion Concealer & Melissa Sassine ‘Blend & Set Makeup Sponge
4. Apply Clinique’s ‘Chubby Stick’ contour & Blend in with your beauty blender
5. Set your lids with translucent powder to avoid any shadow sticking to unwanted areas. The Ben Nye Translucent Powder is a great option!
6. Go in with your ‘base’ colour on your lids. I used Tarte’s ‘tartelette’ Palette with a flat eyeshadow brush.
7. Using a blending / fluffy brush .. blend away any sharp edges (Morphe M501 Blender Brush)
8. Using your flat brush again, go in with a darker colour on the corner of your eyes controlling where you want the colour to go.. & again blend away any sharp edges with your blending / fluffy brush.
9. Add some shimmer by gliding the colour over the lid using your fluffy brush.
10. Eyeliner! Practice makes perfect.. map out where you want your wing.. & fill it in, you got this! These winners featured are the Erin Bigg Luxe Creme Gel Eyeliner ‘Mahogany & Zoeva Wing Liner Brush.
11. Set under your eyes with Huda Beauty’s ‘Easy Bake Loose Powder & leave on for a few minutes .
12. Fill in your brows with Poni Cosmetics Brow Magic by mimicking the direction of the hairs & filling in any gaps.
13. Set the rest of your foundation with your translucent powder.
14. Contour! Angle your contour from the top of your ear, down towards the corner of your mouth. Depending on face shape you can contour (Only a bit) around your forehead/ temples & jawline - Fenty Beauty ‘Sun Stalk’r Instant Warmth bronzer’ in Shady Biz
15. Apply your Blush on your cheek bones - (Nars ‘Orgasm’ blush)
16. Highlighter - Using another blending / fluffy brush, apply a small amount above your cheek bones / around the temple & just above your brows (highlighting ‘C’). I use the Flower Beauty ‘Shimmer & Strobe Highlighting Palette.
17. Apply mascara - I use the Poni Cosmetics ‘White Knight mascara’
18. Add a bright Red Lip and you’re ready for a night of cocktails in the lounge room! I am in LOVE with the Fenty Beauty Stunner Lip Paint ‘Uncensored’.
What’s you favourite makeup product that you cannot live without? Leave a comment below! Stay tuned for more content in our #HOLIDAYATHOME series.
FOLLOW MONTE & LOU ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, AND LINKEDIN